Do you know that there are many common air conditioning problems that affect the overall performance of your A/C unit? They lead to wasted energy and have a drastic effect on your monthly energy bills. Plus they cause nasty ac repair calls.
Clogged filters are a common problem.
Keeping in mind the dry and warm climate of San Fernando Valley, proper functioning of your air conditioning unit is necessary for a comfortable environment in your home. However, how can you identify these problems?
Below we have listed and discussed a number of common problems that lead to cooling/heating system inefficiencies:
- Clogged Filter – A dirty and clogged filter will prevent proper airflow through the unit. This ultimately leads to decreased efficiency, and reduces the unit’s ability to cool the air. Therefore, it is advised by professionals to clean your air conditioning filter after every month or two.
- Sensor Problems – Air conditioners contain a thermostat sensor that is located right behind the control panel. These sensors measure the temperature of the air entering the evaporative coil. However, if the sensor is not in position, it could cause the air conditioner to cycle constantly and behave erratically. To avoid this issue, adjust the sensor back to its position carefully without touching the coil.
- Refrigerant Leakages – If your air conditioner is low on refrigerant, it’s either because it was undercharged during installation or because it’s leaking. If you are facing leakage problems, simply adding more refrigerant will not help. Hire a technician to fix the leaks, test the repairs, and then add the appropriate amount of refrigerant. Remember that your air conditioner will be at its best performance and efficiency when the refrigerant charge meets the exact specifications of the manufacturer. Hence, ensure that the charge is neither undercharged nor overcharged.
- Drainage Problems – Check the condensate drain of your air conditioner to ensure that it’s functioning properly. No matter how small the problem may seem, it can affect the overall performance of your air conditioning unit.
- Electric Control Failure – Due to frequent usage, the compressor and fan controls of an air conditioner can wear out. Besides that, corrosion of wire and terminals is also a major problem in many systems. Get all electrical connections checked during a professional service call.
- Inadequate Maintenance – Proper service and maintenance are essential for your air conditioning unit. It’s advised to get your air conditioners serviced at least once a year by a professional contractor, as it can help to ensure cooling efficiency and proper functionality of your unit.
By identifying these common air conditioning problems you can take appropriate measures at the right time to ensure its proper functionality, reducing wasted energy and lowering your energy bills.
This article was provided by American AC Heat Plumbing. Since 1981, American Air has been providing professional air conditioning and heating service and repair. Check out their $99 tune-up special – good for your air conditioner or furnace!