It’s hard to believe that Summer 2019 has come and gone. It’s now September with Fall just around the corner and Winter not far behind. It’s time to start thinking about packing up the summer stuff and getting ready for the change of weather.
Here are 6 things you should do this September to finish off summer and prepare for winter.
- Change the air filter. It’s important to give your furnace a fresh start this fall. Even though you may still be running the AC here and there, it’s a good idea to pop in a new, fresh filter.
- Get a professional end-of-season AC tune-up. While you can do a lot on your own to wind down your AC system, it’s a good idea to have a professional HVAC technician out to preop the unit for winter. This can be important if you declined to get a tune-up before summer started. A tech can also make sure nothing is leaking and discourage mildew from forming or stop a small issue before it becomes a large one.
- Clear the area. During the summer growth around the unit may have caused issues, clearing this away from the area along with any grass clippings or leaves is a good idea. This can attract bugs or ants or other critters looking to find a place to stay in the cooler weather. Another issue if you are still using your AC during the warmer days, the debris could be a fire hazard. Clearing the area will keep you safe.
- Adjust the thermostat. Keep in mind with the house now empty all day, and evenings tend to get a bit cooler. It usually isn’t necessary to keep the same settings you had in July. Set the temperatures to comfortable settings that make sense with the outside temps at different times of the day. You don’t need to cool a house when no one is in it all day.
- Get a professional furnace evaluation. If your system is older, you remodeled, added on, or you bought a new home, it may be a good idea to have a professional HVAC tech come and evaluate whether you need an updated system. If a new system is necessary, it will likely save you quite a bit in utility costs in the long run. With the proper equipment, this will ensure that you have correct heating and ventilation for your home.
- Schedule a Fall furnace tune-up. Now is the time to get your furnace ready for the long winter ahead. A professional tune-up will make sure the unit is clean and running properly. It will also ensure the furnace runs properly and safely. With this yearly tune-up will also keep your warranty valid if you have a newer system.
Summer is almost over and Fall will be here very soon. Before the cold weather sets in, make sure your HVAC system is running properly.